Do you find yourself constantly switching between reading glasses and distance glasses? If so, you may be a good candidate for progressive lenses. Progressive lenses are a type of corrective lens that helps people who need stronger reading glasses as they age. At Riviera Opticare, progressives are popular choices for our patients in Mesa and Scottsdale.
The Benefits of Progressive Lenses
Our patients with presbyopia often prefer progressives to bifocals. Presbyopia is the medical term for the blurry reading vision that sometimes accompanies aging. An optometrist can prescribe progressive glasses that are more natural than bifocals because they help correct both distance and reading vision. Progressive lenses have many benefits:
- Eliminates the Need for Bifocals or Reading Glasses – Progressive lenses mean you only need to carry one pair of glasses around everywhere you go. You won't need to switch glasses for reading or driving.
- There Is No Line Across the Lens – Some people feel like they look older when they start wearing bifocals because there is a line right across the center of the lens. With progressive lenses, there is no line, so nobody needs to know that you even have multifocal glasses.
- More Comfortable to Wear Than Bifocals – Bifocals can often be uncomfortable to wear, as they sit right on top of your nose. Progressive lenses, on the other hand, are designed to wrap around your face, which makes them more comfortable to wear for extended periods. You will also get used to progressive lenses much faster. There isn't that odd interval of disorientation that most patients experience with bifocals.
- Wider Field of Vision – Because there is no line on progressive lenses, your field of vision is not limited as it is with bifocals. You can see both near and far without having to move your head up and down to look through different parts of the lens.
- Better for Activities – If you play sports or enjoy other activities where you need to be able to see in all directions, then having a wider field of vision available to you can be a real advantage over traditional bifocals.
Contact Our Eye Doctors in Mesa and Scottsdale, AZ
Progressive lenses offer many benefits over traditional bifocals, including a more natural viewing experience, greater comfort, and no unsightly line across the lens. If you live in Mesa, Scottsdale, or the surrounding areas and would like to learn more about progressive lenses, contact Riviera Opticare to schedule an appointment with an experienced optometrist. Call our team today at (480)827-9184 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.